The Nurburgring (GP circuit)
- Lewis Hamilton/Mercedes
- Max Verstappen/Red Bull
- Daniel Riccardo/Renault
Formula 1 returned to the storied track after a multi-year absence. The Aramco Eifel GP featured a mix of cold temps, a spate of reliability issues, two milestones, a finger issue, and another Hamilton/Mercedes victory.
- The Mercedes Benz front row grid lockout ended with Valterri Bottas getting pole.
- Temperature at the start of the race was just 63 degrees, and it dropped after the start.
- Kimi Raikonnen notched 322 Formula 1 races, the most of any driver.
- With Lewis Hamilton’s GP victory he ties Michael Schumacher with 91 F1 victories.
- 25% of the field would retire, with only one being attributed to race damage (George Russel/Williams) The others were Valterri Bottas/Mercedes, Esteban Ocon/Renault, Alex Albon/Red Bull, and Lando Norris/McLaren.
- Nico Hulkenburg has been the “Go-To” driver this season, with The Hulk substituting for Sergio Perez earlier this season, and Lance Stroll for this GP both of Racing Point. Could this strengthen his case for a seat in F1 next year or is he happier in the commentator’s box?
- Formula 1 tires are 13″ diameter, and do not like cold weather.
- You have to be resilient in racing, always having a backup plan when things aren’t going well. Halfway through the GP Ferrari told LeClerc to go to Plan C.
- Romain Grosjean gets the “Tough man” award as his hand it hit by flying gravel caused by Kimi Raikonnen’s rally foray into the traps in the first few laps of the race. He grits it out through the end of the race finishing 9th.
- Kimi Raikonnen receives a 10 second time penalty for a hard bump to George Russel’s Williams Mercedes killing its suspension and George’s chances of finishing the race.
- Alex Albon would get a 5 second time penalty for clipping Daniil Kvyat’s AlphaTauri (damaged front end) on Lap 16, but wouldn’t serve it as a few laps later he developed hydraulic issues related to the brakes. He pits, and the team retires the car citing a diagnosed power unit issue. #toomanyissuestowintoday
- Lando Norris in 3rd position at the time loses power and dead coasts offtrack into a nook ending his day.